Ilaria Sponda (b. 1998 Milan, IT) is a visual artist, researcher, writer and curator based between Lisbon (PT) and Dublin (IE). She studied BA (hons) Arts, Performing Arts and Cultural Events at IULM, Milan, and she is now studying MA Management of the Arts and Culture at Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Lisbon.
Sponda’s practice as a photographer is rooted in the aesthetic of delicacy. She researches her identity through identification with nature and archival images, while she questions the boundaries between life and death. Images, words and sounds always merge and cannot stand on their own.
As an academic researcher, writer and curator, she is intensely interested in feminist photography; presence, absence and everything in between; identity expression; solidarity and community building through creativity. Furthermore, she focuses on visual education and techniques of dialogue facilitation around photography. Considering photography an art form that is losing identity and is being embraced by contemporary world capitalist surveillance and technology, Sponda is bringing out a research on its withered and lost identity.
selected group Exhibitions
- Geography of Our Love, Insight Foto Festival, Varese, 2021
- Antarābhava, "Inner World" online exhibition, Artdoc Photography Magazine, 2021
- Halfway between Wasteland and Wonderland, "Waste To Create" online exhibition, Eco Aware Art Gallery, 2020
- The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree, "Nello spazio fa freddo" exhibition, Chippendale Studio (Milan), 2020
- Of Gestures and Bonds, "Getting By" online exhibition, In Conversation With, 2020
- Ossa di conghiglie, "Assembramento" online exhibition, Invertebre Collettivo, 2020
- Still (Sea)Life, "Still Life" exhibition, Loosen Art at Millepiani (Rome), 2020
- The Dissolution of Compactness of Things, "Raccontare l'invisibile" exhibition, Spazio Giacomo (Bergamo), 2019
- Of Yourself First and Only, "Fallimenti" exhibition, Chippendale Studio (Milan), 2019